BBHQ Boomer Essays:
|Our Boomer-In-Charge here at BBHQ, Hershel Chicowitz, writes frequently about current events... from a boomer perspective. He is sometimes funny, sometimes provocative, sometimes a little of each. We hope you get a kick out of our Boomer Essays.|
According to the U.S. Constitution... for those who still care about that
“antiquated, obsolete” document by which everyone except
Barack Obama is bound:
Article 2, section 3
For the last century, presidents have met this obligation by delivering a speech to a “joint session” of Congress – that is, a meeting of members of both the House and Senate. Members of the Supreme Court, the cabinet, and other high muckitty-mucks usually attend the session, too.
The speech always begins something like this: “Mister Speaker, Vice President Schmeggie, members of Congress, distinguished guests and fellow citizens...” blah, blah, blah... “the state of the union is strong.” Then the president speaks fondly of the wonderful successes he has achieved. “But we must do more.” Then he presents a laundry list of the goals he has for the coming year. Usually it is just “pie in the sky” lofty dreams — more spending, more programs to bribe voters, blah, blah, blah.
This event occurs early in the year, usually January or February... except the first year of a new administration. The thinking is that a new president does not know enough about the state of the union so early in his term... except that “things are so much worse than we thought.” I think that Bill Clinton began that whine, complaining about his predecessor, George H.W. Bush.
Thus his decision to break a campaign promise and institute a huge tax increase. (Never mind that he, and every other person with half a brain who was paying attention knew exactly what a mess we had been in.)
So, in his first year in office, the speech the president presents is not actually a “State of the Union” address. It is perhaps unseemly to complain so much in a “State of the Union” address.
The Coming Attraction
So... will Donald Trump follow the tradition, and complain about the mess he inherited. Heck, he has already done that. Nothing new there.
BBHQ has obtained the text of the portion of the speech which introduces his rationale for honest enforcement of immigration laws. Pay close attention:
Powerful stuff, huh? He is unequivacal in his determination to tackle this problem and do something to address it... exactly as he promised to do. No mincing of words. In fact, is it profoundly eloquent.
Here; we even have the audio of the president rehearsing the speech:
Astonishing, isn’t it? But what is astonishing is not that it is so eloquent, or that it matches what candidate Trump promised.
What is astonishing about it is that it sounds so much like Bill Clinton! Isn’t that his voice?
Oh, not the words, and certainly not the intent. Because Bill Clinton never intended to do anything substantial about illegal aliens. (Didja’ hear that he actually used the words “illegal aliens”?)
Then there is the reference to former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. Barbara Jordan died in 1996.
How is that possible? What’s going on here?
Well, turns out our crack investigators are not so “crack,” after all. That was not President Trump rehearsing his speech. It was, in fact, from President Bill Clinton’s State of the Union speech... twenty-two years ago!!
How could we get it so wrong?
(I donno’; maybe PriceWaterhouseCoopers was managing the whole thing.)
What to Make of all This
Well, I’ll leave that particular matter to the pundits and historians to ponder. Instead, I draw several important conclusions from this fortunate revelation:
1. In an effort to make “illegal aliens” acceptable to Americans, the left has wiped the term “illegal aliens” from the lexicon. Nope; can’t say that anymore. Now, they are “undocumented citizens” or “dreamers” How benign! How inspirational! (Who could possibly reject “dreamers”?)
Wake up, folks! They are trying to manipulate us through the use of words.
(Where have I heard that before? Oh, I know: “global warming” is now “climate change.” Who could possibly deny “climate change”?)
2. Ever since the illegal alien amnesty bill passed during the Reagan administration, neither Republican nor Democrat lawmakers have had the slightest intention of curbing illegal immigration. Not the slightest! It was all just empty, lip service. The Republicans want to appeal to the big donors: large corporations. And the Democrats want a wedge issue, as well as “dreamer” Democrat voters. “We made it so you can stay here; we got you all the free stuff. Now, vote for us! You owe us – for life!”
3. The vast majority of Americans may have a soft spot in their heart for “dreamers,” but they want to stop illegal immigration. They want the current immigration laws enforced. Call it what you wish. But if you crossed the border into the United States without the proper authorization, you do not belong here. Period.
4. That is why so many Democrat voters broke rank and pulled the lever for the crass, uncouth candidate. (Well, besides the reality that the other candidate was so....)
Candidate Trump was adamant in his intent to “build the wall” and stop illegal immigration. People were desperate; they were willing to take a chance... because, like Trump, they wanted to protect their country from the foreign invasion that we all know is taking place.
5. Today, President Trump is taking firm actions to make good on his campaign pledge. And the left is villifying him... deaf to the will of the people.
The other phony politicians were “all talk an no action”... at least when it came to “illegal aliens.” This president is not.
And they can’t stand it!
That, my friends, is the “state of the union.”
Please help us by buying stuff through our link to Amazon.com:
|The BBHQ Feature Album is "Old Friends Live on Stage (Deluxe Edition) (2 CD/1 DVD)," by Simon & Garfunkel. If you were fortunate enough to see them in concert in 2003, I do not have to sell you. The concert was terrific! This album collection includes 55 songs, plus their new recording, "Citizen of the Planet," and one of the songs sung by the Everly Brothers during the concert. The DVD was recorded during their concert in Madison Square Garden in 2003. For any S&G fan, this is a must have! But then, you knew that already, didn't you?|
|The BBHQ Feature Book is “Bobby Rydell – Teen Idol on the Rocks.” This is a “behind the scenes” story of one of the boomers’ first rock n’ roll stars. Told in the first person, Bobby chronicles his short ride to the pinnacle of fame and fortune, his glide through the 70s and 80s, and how he nearly lost it all. Relax; it has a happy ending. Bobby was (and is) a “normal” Philly guy... with an absolute love of music and an amazing gift. For any fan of early rock n’ roll, it’s a wonderful story. And yes, Bobby Rydell is still on tour, playing to boomer fans all over the world. Click here for a closer look at the book.|
Copyright © 2017, Baby Boomer HeadQuarters - WWW.BBHQ.COM - All rights reserved.